20091001

goodSamaritans

How much are the lives of those who save other lives worth to society?
http://www.cbsnews.com/8618-500251_162-5355451.html?assetTypeId=41&messageId=8458042&tag=contentMain;contentBody

So who is going to pay the rescuer's medical bills from this? Especially if they're long term, like burned lungs, chronic pneumonia, and other respiratory distress.

The standing rule is to give heroic acts of kindness their five minutes of fame (if it's a ratings or viewer draw) then leave them to suffer the health and financial consequences of their actions.

I entered a burning house three times to save a three year old boy and his foster mother while local police and neighbors stood back and watched. The mother's home-owner insurance policy wouldn't even cover the ambulance ride, much less the three thousand dollar ER visit.

I was already disabled and unemployed, and the only way I could keep my family from having to pay the resulting bills was to sigh a waiver releasing the insurance company from long term liability.

The insurance then payed for the ambulance and ER, but my family has to pay about one hundred dollars a month for the two inhalers I use daily, the rescue inhaler I have to use often, PLUS the ongoing medical bills for opportunistic infections I get often now.

I should also say that I was a firefighter/1stResponder since 1999, but had left the Scott County VFD to move here about three months prior to the fire next door.

I burned my lungs (in the line of duty) twice before; once in a house fire, and once (with chlorine powder) during a hazmat incident. Both incidents reduced my lung capacity, but neither cases were bad enough to require ongoing medications.



syndicNation

gratefulDead

gRankedPosts